BECOME A FELLOW
THE 2018 FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION PERIOD WILL OPEN IN MAY, 2017.
As a Fellow you will leave the program having developed an understanding of competency in organizational management, relationship management, strategic planning and problem solving, navigating complex environments, and expertise in the history and structure of public education. Each Fellow will have demonstrated an ability to achieve and lead. As a Fellow you will learn how to have a tremendous impact on the broad landscape of leadership and education.
Below listed are key dates for anyone interested in becoming a Surge Fellow.
Fellowship Application Release Date – Monday, May 15
Application Due Date – Monday, July 10
Selection Days – Wednesday, August 9-Thursday, August 10
2018 Fellows Announced – Tuesday, September 5
Tentative Surge Fellowship Session Dates
These are the tentative dates for all sessions during the 2017-2018 Fellowship.
Opening Retreat: October 19-21
Session 2: November 17
Session 3: December 15
Session 4: January 19
Session 5: February 16
Session 6: March 23
Session 7: April 20
Session 8: May 18
Session 9: June 15
Session 10: July 20
Graduation: August 16-18
- Chicago-based African-American or Latino leader between the ages of 28 to 40
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum)
- Minimum of six years of work experience
- Employed in education or youth-serving role (district, charter, public policy, philanthropy or advocacy/non profit) at the initiation of and for the duration of the Fellowship
- Passion for positively impacting the lives of young people and their communities
- Two letters of recommendation; one must be from current organization
- Completed employer authorization form
- Interview with 3 selection committee members
- Ability to attend all sessions and participate for the duration of the program
Contact The Surge Institute’s administrative team at email@example.com with specific questions.